CMG aspires to develop leaders at all levels of experience and within all aspects of the practice. We believe strengthening our culture by supporting the pursuit of innovation and learning is important towards realizing this goal. We hope to attract passionate people who are visionary in seeking and creating opportunities to help grow and improve the ongoing project that is CMG. We value team members with integrity, honesty, and respect who are committed to creating a safe environment for everyone to do their best work. As a living company, these aspirations are fundamental to how we evolve and stay nimble build together.
We are driven by a social-ecological mission to positively impact communities and the planet. If you are interested in joining the conversation or learning more about how we do this, please apply for one of our open positions.
THE POSITION: PROJECT CAPTAIN
Project Captains play both a supporting and leading role in CMG’s pursuit of collaborative creativity. In this position, you develop and move information – from idea conception all the way through to realizing it within the built environment. We are seeking an energetic and passionate designer who will:
- Utilize excellent graphic, design, and problem-solving skills to conceptualize and guide the development and communication of conceptual design ideas through studies and presentations.
- Develop and coordinate project documentation, with a rounded approach encompassing code, constructability, and cost analysis.
- Participate in project planning (including fee management, work plans, and teaming strategies).
- Support project goals while gracefully negotiating relationships – client, internal, consultant, contractor, regulatory agencies – with excellent communication skills.
- Take an active role building workplace culture, and institutional knowledge through sharing of ideas and information
EXPERIENCE + SKILLS
You are at an exciting point in your career – having been through a few cycles of design and documentation (and perhaps construction!), your eyes are wide open. You are hungry for what comes next – taking things in and starting to glean what it means to make an idea happen. You bring the following skills and experience with you:
- A degree in landscape architecture or a related field.
- Approximately 4+ years professional experience practicing landscape architecture.
- Competent knowledge of contemporary landscape design, including a strong understanding of landscape systems (ideally California ecology and climate).
- Some knowledge about how to carry a design idea forward and make it real, accessible, implementable.
- Ability to manage digital design tools and workflows.
- Exposure to field construction preferred.
- Some experience in project management and consultant coordination
- You will be located in the San Francisco Bay Area region with ability to work in our studio on a weekly basis
- You take initiative and responsibility for accuracy in your work, manage yourself with humility, and are willing to ask for help when needed.
- Self-direction – you enjoy taking on independent initiatives and diving into design studies and/or technical documentation.
- Utilizing excellent communication and organizational skills, you are energized by finding creative solutions to challenging problems.
- You celebrate the input of others, know dialogue is critical to constructive review, and approach work with curiosity – intelligently developing and guiding processes for both colleagues and clients towards a shared goal.
HOW TO APPLY
CMG Landscape Architecture is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate difference. We are committed to maintaining a high level of design and quality of life within our firm to attract and retain a wide array of employees whose diverse perspectives will be reflective of the world at large.
To be considered for a position, please upload the following materials in one single PDF at following links.
- Cover letter – no more than 500 words.
- Portfolio of design work – include clear descriptions of your role and responsibilities on each project.
- References – at least two.
- Submit a single PDF combining all the materials above. 15MB maximum.
- Links will not be considered.