Technical Design Leader
CMG aspires to develop leaders at all levels of experience and within all aspects of the practice. We believe strengthening our culture by supporting the pursuit of innovation and learning is important towards realizing this goal. We hope to attract passionate people who are visionary in seeking and creating opportunities to help grow and improve the ongoing project that is CMG. We value team members with integrity, honesty, and respect who are committed to creating a safe environment for everyone to do their best work. As a living company, these aspirations are fundamental to how we evolve and stay nimble build together.
We are driven by a social-ecological mission to positively impact communities and the planet. If you are interested in joining the conversation or learning more about how we do this, please apply for one of our open positions.
THE POSITION: TECHNICAL DESIGN LEADER
Technical Design Leaders play a critical role in orchestrating the realization of CMG’s mission and design ideas within the built environment. We are seeking a versatile leader with a passion for technical design and construction observation.
Project Roles: This position will include leadership of technical design, documentation, and QA/QC of complex projects at a range of scales. You will also lead construction observation, from bid review to final completion.
Leadership: You will help expand project documentation standards and provide high-level guidance of technical project development across the practice by collaborating with others in CMG's internal Construction Resource team. The split between technical design leadership, QA/QC, and construction observation will vary over time based on practice and project needs.
EXPERIENCE + SKILLS
You love design and figuring out how to make things. Constructability and collaboration drive your approach to project work. You bring the following experience and skills with you:
- A degree in landscape architecture, architecture, construction management or a related field.
- Licensure in landscape architecture is strongly encouraged, but not required.
- Approximately 8+ years professional experience practicing landscape architecture.
- Technical design leadership of complex projects similar in scope and scale to CMG’s portfolio.
- Leading and coordinating project documentation, QA/QC, and construction observation, with a rounded approach encompassing landscape systems, code, constructability, and cost analysis.
- Leading and teaching teams to integrate constructability issues and best practices into workflows.
- Working with regulatory agencies to plan and permit projects.
- Overall project planning including fee management, work plans, and team leadership preferred.
- Located in the San Francisco Bay Area region with ability to travel as required to oversee projects.
- You take initiative and responsibility for your work, manage yourself with humility, and are willing to ask for help when needed.
- You are equally attentive to big picture project planning as you are to the details
- You celebrate the input of others and know dialogue is critical to design rigor both in the studio and the field.
- You have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- You recognize the importance of learning and mentorship and are inspired to share your experience and knowledge.
- You are nimble at realizing project goals while gracefully negotiating relationships.
HOW TO APPLY
CMG Landscape Architecture is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate difference. We are committed to maintaining a high level of design and quality of life within our firm to attract and retain a wide array of employees whose diverse perspectives will be reflective of the world at large.
To be considered for a position, please upload the following materials in one single PDF at following links.
- Cover letter – no more than 500 words.
- Portfolio of design work – include clear descriptions of your role and responsibilities on each project.
- References – at least two.
- Submit a single PDF combining all the materials above. 15MB maximum.
- Links will not be considered.