CMG aspires to develop leaders at all levels of experience and within all aspects of the practice. We are committed to strengthening our culture through providing on-going growth opportunities for everyone. As a living company, this is fundamental to how we evolve and stay nimble together. We hope to attract passionate people who:
- Are visionary in seeking and creating opportunities to help grow and improve the firm through all aspects of work.
- Take initiative and are action oriented.
- Demonstrate an ability to self-manage.
- Are accountable and take responsibility for their work.
- Have humility in their approach and are willing to ask for help when needed.
- Value integrity honesty, and respect and are committed to creating a safe environment for everyone to do their best work.
We are driven by a social-ecological mission to positively impact communities and the planet. If you are interested in joining the conversation or learning more about how we do this, please follow the application form below.
THE POSITION: PROJECT MANAGER
Our work as Landscape Architects is both creative and collaborative – meaning, we need each other to be our best and make great things happen. Project Managers play a critical role in steering this endeavor as the central axis of our teams! In this position, you orchestrate the flow of information – from idea conception all the way through to realizing it within the built environment. Fluent in design, management, and technical development, you approach work with curiosity – intelligently developing and guiding processes for both colleagues and clients towards a shared goal. Utilizing excellent communication and organizational skills, you are energized by finding creative solutions to challenging problems. Equally attentive to big picture project planning as you are to the details, you celebrate the input of others and know dialogue is critical to constructive review. With your experience in guiding projects through all phases, you will help us build our depth of expertise in realizing complex, high-quality landscapes. Above all, you are motivated to continue learning while mentoring others.
EXPERIENCE + SKILLS: TECHNICAL
You love design and figuring out how to make things. Constructability drives your approach to project work. You bring the following experience and skills with you:
- A degree in landscape architecture or a related field.
- Licensure in landscape architecture is strongly encouraged, but not required.
- Approximately 10+ years professional experience practicing landscape architecture.
- Leadership of complex projects across all phases – ideally aligned with the project typologies CMG works within: Parks/Public Space, Resilience, Campus, Cultural, and Engagement.
- Overall project planning including fee management, work plans, and teaming strategies.
- Leading and coordinating project documentation, with a rounded approach encompassing code, constructability, and cost analysis.
- Working with regulatory agencies to plan and permit projects.
- Realizing project goals while gracefully negotiating relationships – client, internal, consultant, contractor – with excellent communication skills.
- Adept understanding of QA/QC processes including regulatory code, site systems, and cost analysis.
- Leading and teaching teams to integrate constructability issues and best practices into workflow.
- Procurement process – especially for for soils, plants, and trees.
- Extensive in-field construction observation.
WHO WE ARE
CMG’s mission is to increase social and ecological wellbeing through artful design and advocacy. At the heart of the practice is attention to public space, how the built environment shapes human interaction, and the way innovation can foster a thriving natural world. CMG has earned national recognition and numerous awards for merits in design, social impact, and environmental quality. We work on a wide range of initiatives, project scales and types, with the philosophy that all of our work accrues as the single overarching project of improving the public realm of our cities. CMG’s team consists of three dozen landscape designers, marketing and operational leads led by six principals with diverse perspectives. We value curiosity, collaboration, and inclusivity and that is reflected in our design process, culture, and community. For 20 years, CMG has been making a positive impact on the landscape and our profession with passion, innovation, and leadership. We are located in San Francisco — the city and region that is, in many ways, the overarching project of our two decades of practice.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for a position, please upload the following materials in one single PDF. Links will not be considered.
- Cover letter - no more than 500 words
- Portfolio of design work - include clear descriptions of your role on each project
- References – at least two
- Submit a single PDF combining all of the materials above, 15MB maximum
CMG Landscape Architecture is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate difference. We are committed to maintaining a high level of design and quality of life within our firm in order to attract and retain a wide array of employees whose diverse perspectives will be reflective of the world at large.